10 fun facts about plastic (It's fantastic!)
6. februar 2014
Not that we’re against coins and notes, but it’s probably no secret that our preferred payment method is by card! Here’s a list of our top 10 facts about plastic!
- The first credit card was born in 1950. It was made out of paper, and had a list of the accepting locations (consisting of 14 restaurants in New York!) printed on the back.
- It was given to 200 people and had a credit of $300.
- There are about 5 billion credit cards in the world. That’s like 0,7 cards per person.
- However, about 10% of cardholders have more than 10 cards in their wallets!
- Visa used to be called BankAmericard. MasterCard went by the name of MasterCharge.
- Worldwide, 10000 card transactions are made… every second!
- You’ve probably heard about the American Express Centurion card. But did you know that there’s a card made out of gold? And diamonds. And just to make sure that everyone gets the picture - a pearl. Say hello to the Visa Infinite Exclusive card. It will set you back $100000 - but hey - once you have it, you won’t ever need to pay any late fees. Great! (OK, so there are some other perks as well.)
- When buying groceries, consumers prefer to pay by debit card. However, when shopping online or when eating out - people are more likely to whip out their credit cards.
- The most expensive credit card transaction ever, was made by Kim Basinger in 1989 for the sum of $20 million. For that, she got a small town in Georgia. (Later however, she sold it for $1 million. Fail.)
- Today, 66% of all point of sale purchases are made with plastic. Cash sales are estimated to drop to 23% by 2017.
Obviously, a lot has happened in 64 years. Bottom line: Consumers today want to pay by card. That’s why it’s our mission to make easy card payments available to all!