iZettle’s tipping function allows your customers to add a gratuity to their bill. You can enable the tipping function to work:
- from the card reader−customers can choose to enter a tip directly into the card reader. This function works only with an iZettle Reader.
- using the iZettle app−your staff use the iZettle app to enter the customer’s tip.
Make sure you understand how to receive and declare tips according to local tax authority regulations. Read more about gov.uk tax regulations in the UK here. Tips accepted using an iZettle Reader are shown in full on your iZettle sales reports and on your receipts.
To activate the tipping function:
1. In the iZettle app, go to Settings > Configuration> Payments
2. Choose how tipping will work:
- Select Enable gratuity to allow your staff to use the iZettle app to enter the customer’s tip.
- Select Enable gratuity for iZettle card reader to enable customers to enter a tip directly into the card reader. You will need to update the reader before the tipping feature can work properly.
Important! Before updating the iZettle card reader:
Make sure the card reader and your smartphone or tablet are charged.
Keep the smartphone or tablet close to the card reader during the update.
To update the iZettle card reader:
In the iZettle app, go to Settings > Integrations > Card payment > iZettle Settings > Card readers
Tap Update card reader
Note: if you do not update the card reader, the first time a payment is taken, the app will prompt you to update it. Tap Update. If you tap Skip, an ordinary payment will be taken without tipping enabled.
When tipping is enabled, the payment occurs as follows:
Add products/items in the shopping cart, tap Pay. In the payment view, tap Pay with iZettle.
The card reader asks your customer if they want to add a tip. Hand the reader to your customer.
If the customer taps yes, they are prompted to enter an amount, and then they enter their PIN.
The payment completes and a receipt is printed.
To prevent accidental or invalid amounts (for example, if the customer enters their PIN code instead of a tip amount), the maximum tip level is set to 35%. If your customer enters more than 35%, the card reader displays a “too high amount” warning message.
For all card payments, iZettle takes a transaction fee based on the total amount. Read more about our prices here.
Need more help?
If you can't find what you're looking for, please get in touch. Our Support team is on duty 9:00 am - 5:00 pm on weekdays.
Call us on 0203 699 9934
It seems that something went wrong. Please try again or send us an email. email@example.com
Using iZettle in the app & online
Card readers & accessories
- Getting started
- Add product, category and department
- Button layouts
- Managing employees
- Customising your receipts
- Compatible hardware
- Changing password
- Option groups
- Reports panel
- Advanced stock manager
- Advanced stock vs simple stock
- Pairing your iZettle card reader
- What's included in the monthly subscription fees?
- Xero and iZettle Pro
- App improvements
- Network Requirements
Bank account & deposits
Accounting & analytics
iZettle account settings
Security & privacy
Introduction to the Legal Hub
- Contact us