Troubleshooting iZettle Reader 2
Don't see your card reader? Click here for an overview of all iZettle card machines.
How do I start using the iZettle Reader 2?
Please see our quick start guide.
Charging in the Dock 2
My reader is in the dock but it’s not charging.
- Please make sure that the iZettle Dock 2 is properly connected to a USB power adapter with the cable provided, both under the dock and in the USB power adaptor.
- Please be aware that the iZettle Reader 2 can only be used with the iZettle Dock 2 and that the original iZettle Reader can only be used with the original iZettle Dock. If it still doesn't work, make sure your cable doesn’t have any damage or try another cable.
- Dirt can accumulate over time and prevent a charge. Gently clean the 5 small golden circles on the back of the Reader 2 or on the Dock 2 with a soft brush or cloth and alcohol. Do not use anything metallic to avoid damaging the plates.
- A light indicator next to the charging port will light up to indicate the Reader 2 is charging. Red = charging, green = charge complete.
Charging via the USB cableMy reader is connected via a USB cable but it’s not charging.
- The iZettle Reader 2 can be charged by connecting it via a USB cable to a USB power adaptor. Make sure your USB cable is properly connected to the Reader 2 and to the USB power adaptor or computer.
- An indicator next to the Reader's charging port will light to show that the Reader is charging. Red = charging, green = charge complete.
No, iZettle Reader 2 is only compatible with the Dock 2.
My reader isn’t turning on. What can I do?
Please make sure it is charged. Connect it to a charger or a Dock 2 and try again after a few minutes. If your issue is not resolved, please contact our support team for help.
Simply restart the reader by holding down the power button on top of the reader for up to 3 seconds. When the reader is turned off, start it again.
If your issue is not resolved, please contact our support team for help.
I just purchased a new iZettle Reader 2, how do I pair it with my phone or tablet?
Refer to the quick start guide that you receive together with your Reader 2.
I have paired the reader to my device but it doesn’t connect. What should I do?
Make sure that the device has Bluetooth on and that the Reader is located within range (<15m). In the iZettle app, go to Settings / Card Readers to see the connection status or try to connect again.
Can I pair a Reader 2 to more than one device?
It is ok to pair your Reader 2 with more than one device but you cannot use them at the same time. Attempting to use several devices along with your iZettle app at the same time may cause them to malfunction.
My Reader 2 is on but I’m having issues taking payments.
- Make sure the card reader is properly connected to your device by navigating to Settings / Card Readers in the iZettle App. If you can’t see it there, you may need to reconnect the reader.
- Also, make sure your Reader and app software are up to date. See below.
Always make sure to use the latest version of the iZettle Go app. Follow these steps to download the latest iZettle Go app on your smartphone or tablet:
- Go to the Apple App Store or Google Play store to see if there is an update
- If there is an update available, install the latest version of the app
Ensure that the card reader is running the latest software available:
- Go to “Updating the software of your card reader” and follow the steps to ensure you have the latest reader software installed on your card reader.
If you want to check what version of the reader software you have, or if you just want to know if there is an update available you can always go to “Settings” > “Card readers” and then select your card reader by tapping it.
How do I know what software my reader has?
You can check which version of the reader software you have by going to “Settings” > “Card readers” and then selecting your card reader. It will be shown on the list.
Sleep mode/energy saving mode
My Reader 2 ‘sort of’ turns off after some minutes without use when it runs on battery
This is completely normal and nothing to worry about. The Reader 2 is designed to go into sleep mode to save battery. It will wake up when you take a payment, you can also press the power button or use the app to wake it.
Do I need to take any special care with my Reader 2?
Treat your reader gently! The iZettle card reader has an internal protection mechanism which is very sensitive. Any strong impact or drop from a significant height can cause a “Reader Damaged” message.
My reader shows the message “Reader Damaged”. What can I do?
“Reader Damaged” means that something has triggered the internal alarm system. Please contact customer support for further advice.
I will not be using my reader for a few months. Is there anything I should consider?
If you are a seasonal user and you will not be using your Reader 2 for the next few months (3+ months), we strongly recommend that you charge it before storing it.
Any other questions?
If the suggestions above didn't’ help with your issue, please get in touch with our Support Team and we’ll help you.
Need more help?
If you can't find what you're looking for, please get in touch. Our Support team is on duty 9:00 am - 5:00 pm on weekdays.
Call us on: 0203 699 9934
Using iZettle in the app & online
Card readers & accessories
- About the iZettle readers
- Compatible smartphones and tablets
- Connecting the iZettle Reader via Bluetooth
- Troubleshooting iZettle Reader 2
- Troubleshooting iZettle Reader
- Troubleshooting earlier card readers
- Updating your card reader software
- Card reader delivery
- How to return your card reader
- Discontinued card readers
- Accessories Store
Bank account & deposits
Accounting & analytics
iZettle account settings
Security & privacy
- Contact us