Troubleshooting earlier card readers
Click here for troubleshooting steps of the latest iZettle Reader 2.
Click here for troubleshooting of the iZettle Reader.
The card reader doesn’t start
Plug in the charging cable to the card reader and charge it. The charging indicator should give a fixed red light, which indicates that the battery is being charged. The reader can be used while it’s being charged.
The charging indicator is blinking red
Try with another charging cable. If it is still blinking while the cable is plugged in, please get in touch with our Support team.
I have the iZettle Go app open but the card reader doesn’t display ”Insert/swipe card” or ”Insert/tap card”
- Go to the Bluetooth settings on your smartphone/tablet to make sure that the card reader appears as connected. If not, tap it to connect. Then, open the app and wait for up to 15 sec. for the devices to connect.
- Reconnect the card reader. Go to the Bluetooth settings on your smartphone/tablet and tap on ”iZettle ###” and remove the card reader from remembered devices. Now you can pair (link to pairing) the devices once again.
Make sure you have the latest card reader software. You can check for updates under “Settings” in the app. If there is an update available, please install it.
The card reader display has frozen
Restart the card reader.
"System tampered" message appears on the screen
The card reader needs to be handled with care. Should it be exposed to shock, extreme variations in temperature, moisture, tampering attempts or similar, it will display the message "System Tampered". If your card reader displays this message, it can no longer be used. If your warranty is still valid, please get in touch with our Support team.
Start by making sure that the battery is charged, simply plug in the micro USB cable to the card reader and charge it. The battery symbol on the display will show when the battery is fully charged. The card reader can be used while it’s being charged.
The Card Reader Pro is not charging
This may occur when the card reader is very low on battery, even though it's connected to a power outlet. Then follow these steps:
- Plug in the charging cable into the card reader and into the power outlet.
- Shut down the card reader by pressing the small, black power button on the left side of the card reader for a few seconds.
Note: If the charging indicator on the side is flashing red, please get in touch with our Support team.
- Try restarting your smartphone or tablet. Also try restarting the app.
- Also check so that you have the latest version of the app downloaded to your device.
- You can also re-connect your card reader to your device. Simply go to the Bluetooth settings on your device and remove the card reader from remembered devices. Once the card reader has been removed, you can pair it again using these instructions.
- The card reader needs to be handled with care. Should it be exposed to shock, extreme variations in temperature, moisture, tampering attempts or similar, it will display the message "System Tampered". If your card reader displays this message, it can no longer be used. If your warranty is still valid, please get in touch with our Support team.
- Make sure that you have the latest version of the app installed. You need version iOS 9 or later, or Android 4.3 or later.
- Make sure that the audio cable is plugged in correctly to both your smartphone/tablet and your card reader.
- Unplug the audio cable from your smartphone/tablet, then plug it back in.
- Make sure that the audio cable is not broken.
- If the card reader quickly flashes red three times, then please contact our Support team.
- If none of the above helps, then please reach out to us.
Before you reset your card reader, make sure you’ve already tried to following:
- Checked so that your card reader is updated with the latest software. Read more.
- Turned the reader on/off.
- First, make sure that the card reader is fully charged.
- Press the button inside the pinhole next to the power button, using a pin or paperclip or similar. You will then be presented with three options:
- Power up as normal,
- System restore, and
- Total factory reset.
- Choose option nr. 3 and press "Yes". (Even if you can't see all alternatives, you can still press number 3 on your card reader to start the factory reset.) The card reader will now reset completely.
- Re-pair your card reader with your smartphone or tablet.
- When your card reader is connected to your smartphone or tablet, update the software of your card reader.
Need more help?
If you can't find what you're looking for, please get in touch. Our Support team is on duty 9:00 am - 5:00 pm on weekdays.
Call us on: 0203 699 9934
It seems that something went wrong. Please try again or send us an email. firstname.lastname@example.org
Using iZettle in the app & online
Card readers & accessories
- About the iZettle readers
- Compatible smartphones and tablets
- Connecting the iZettle Reader via Bluetooth
- Troubleshooting iZettle Reader 2
- Troubleshooting iZettle Reader
- Troubleshooting earlier card readers
- Updating your card reader software
- Card reader delivery
- How to return your card reader
- What kinds of payment can I accept with the iZettle Readers?
Bank account & deposits
Accounting & analytics
iZettle account settings
Security & privacy
Introduction to the Legal Hub
- Contact us