Troubleshooting iZettle Reader
Don't see your card reader? Click here for an overview of all iZettle card machines.
How do I start using the iZettle Reader?
Please see our quick start guide.
Why is my Reader not charging?
You can always check if your iZettle Reader is charging from the app:
- Go to the iZettle Go app menu by tapping .
- Then go to Settings > Card readers.
- A “Charging” indicator will appear next to Battery level when your iZettle Reader is charging.
If you’re using a Dock to charge your Reader, the LED light should light up as green.
If you’ve checked the above and there is no sign that your iZettle Reader is charging, then follow this guide:
|The charging plates on your Reader or the Dock are dirty.||Dirt can accumulate over time and prevent a charge. Gently clean the 2 small golden circles behind the Reader or on the Dock with a soft brush or cloth and alcohol. Do not use anything metallic to avoid damaging the plates.|
|The USB port, outlet or cable is faulty.||If you haven't done so, try a different port. Alternatively, try a different USB cable.|
|The Reader isn’t aligned properly with the charging plates on the Dock.||Check the alignment and try reconnecting your Reader to the Dock.|
|The Reader is malfunctioning.||Try restarting the Reader by holding the power button.|
If you’ve tried all the above and your iZettle Reader is still not charging, contact our Support Team for further assistance.
Why won't my Reader start?
Make sure that your credit card machine is charged. Connect it to power either via USB or the Dock. Hold the power button for a few seconds to reset your Reader. You may need to hold it for more than 20 seconds. At this point, your Reader should start.
If your Reader is still not starting, please contact our Support team for further assistance.
My Reader keeps showing “Looking for” or ”Waiting for” when I’m trying to pair it to my smartphone or tablet.
If your Reader shows “Looking for” (on iOS) or “Waiting for” (on Android), this means that your Reader has been previously paired either with the same device or a difference device.
- If your Reader is not detected by your smartphone/tablet, first make sure that Bluetooth is turned on on your device. If it has not been previously paired and you just turned the Reader on, restart pairing by holding the OK button for 3-5 seconds and then completing the standard pairing steps.
- If your Reader still shows “Looking for”/”Waiting for”, go to Bluetooth settings on your smartphone or tablet. Then check if the iZettle Reader appears on the list and is shown as Connected. If there are any other Readers that appear to be paired as well, remove those devices that you do not need by tapping on “i” and then on “Forget Device”. Only the Reader you would like to connect should remain on the list. Restart the pairing steps again.
My reader seems frozen or shows a strange message
Simply restart the reader by holding down the power button on top of the reader for up to 3 seconds. When the reader is turned off, start it again.
If your issue is not resolved, please contact our support team for help.
My Reader is not reading cards
This issue is mostly Android related and happens when the Reader is ready to take cards but the iZettle Go app is not. Firstly, only insert or swipe the card when the “Insert/Swipe card” message is shown in your Reader.
If your customer’s card still can’t be read, go into Settings > Card readers in the iZettle Go app and check if the Reader is connected. If the Reader is connected and the “Insert/Swipe card” screen is shown, it means there’s a good connection between the Reader and your smartphone/tablet and your Reader should be able to read cards. If the problem persists, please get in touch with our Support Team for further assistance.
Always make sure to use the latest version of the iZettle Go app. Follow these steps to download the latest iZettle Go app on your smartphone or tablet:
- Go to the Apple App Store or Google Play store to see if there is an update
- If there is an update available, install the latest version of the app
Ensure that the card reader is running the latest software available:
- Go to “Updating the software of your card reader” and follow the steps to ensure you have the latest reader software installed on your card reader
If you want to check what version of the reader software you have, or if you just want to know if there is an update available you can always go to “Settings” > “Card readers” and then select your card reader by tapping it.
How do I know what software my reader has?
You can check which version of the reader software you have by going to “Settings” > “Card readers” and then selecting your card reader. It will be shown on the list.
Do I need to take any special care with my Reader?
Treat your reader gently! The iZettle card reader has an internal protection mechanism which is very sensitive. Any strong impact or drop from a significant height can cause a “Reader Damaged” message.
My reader shows the message “Reader Damaged”. What can I do?
“Reader Damaged” means that something has triggered the internal alarm system. Please contact customer support for further advice.
Any other questions?
If the suggestions above didn't’ help with your issue, please get in touch with our Support Team and we’ll help you.
Need more help?
If you can't find what you're looking for, please get in touch. Our Support team is on duty 9:00 am - 5:00 pm on weekdays.
Call us on: 0203 699 9934
Using iZettle in the app & online
Card readers & accessories
- About the iZettle readers
- Compatible smartphones and tablets
- Connecting the iZettle Reader via Bluetooth
- Troubleshooting iZettle Reader 2
- Troubleshooting iZettle Reader
- Troubleshooting earlier card readers
- Updating your card reader software
- Card reader delivery
- How to return your card reader
- Discontinued card readers
- Accessories Store
Bank account & deposits
Accounting & analytics
iZettle account settings
Security & privacy
- Contact us